“A dream to some, a nightmare to others”: “Excalibur” at 40

A dream to some a nightmare to others Excalibur at

“A dream to some, a nightmare to others”: “Excalibur” at 40

View Reddit by ComicBookFan20View Source

thaumogenesis

This movie has always stuck with me because it has a very particular atmosphere, a real sense of dread and mystique. They really did a fantastic job of integrating magical elements without sacrificing any of its edge (the music helped a lot with this, too). Injuries also felt really nasty and realistic.

YetAnotherWTFMoment

Just look at that cast.Helen Mirren. Ciaran Hinds. Patrick Stewart. Gabriel Byrne. Liam Neeson. etc.

Hungry_Pack

As an AD&D obsessed kid in the early 80s Excalibur was my favorite swords/sorcery film back then right beside Conan the Barbarian. Dragonslayer follows these two.

Coast_watcher

Nicol Williamson will always be MY Merlin. And a smokin Helen Mirren as Morgan Le Fay 😳.edit: indeed took out 'young' as pointed out. Helen is smokin at any time.

doctor_x

My Grandma took me to see this when I was nine. She called the theatre and they assured her it was kid-friendly. My younger brother had nightmares about a naked Lancelot with a sword impaled through him for weeks.

Ascarea

Fantastic use of classical music in this film

RolandPapers

Anál nathrach, orth' bháis's bethad, do chél dénmha.

MovieMike007

To date, this remains the best King Arthur movie.

seattledon

"STAND BACK! Be silent! Be still!... That's it... and look upon this moment. Savor it! Rejoice with great gladness! Great gladness! Remember it always, for you are joined by it. You are One, under the stars. Remember it well, then... this night, this great victory. So that in the years ahead, you can say, 'I was there that night, with Arthur, the King!' For it is the doom of men that they forget."

BenMcAdoos_ElCamino

King Arthur rides into battle one last time as O Fortuna starts playing.“Guards! Knights! Squires! Prepare for battle!”Fucking gets me every time.

Monkey_Knife_Fight

It’s a great film, and it’s fun watching Gabriel Byrne, Patrick Stewart, and Liam Neeson in some early roles. A young Helen Mirren is a big plus as well.

chewseventysix

Charley Boorman the son of the director John Boorman played Modred

devotchko

"I never knew how empty was my soul...until it was filled again!"So many eloquent quotes in this masterpiece.

kleptophobiac

"I have walked my way since the beginning of time. Sometimes I give, sometimes I take. It is mine to know which and where."

deseipel

Behold Excalibur! The sword of power! Forged when birds and beasts and flower were One with Man, and death was but a dream!

Thumbkeeper

I try to slip in the Charm of Making every where I can.Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh!

Boomscake

I watched this as a kid and it has stuck with me my entire life. The best king Arthur film.

Caiur

I was not born to live a man's life, but to be the stuff of future memory. The fellowship of the Round Table was a brief beginning, a fair time that cannot be forgotten. And because it will not be forgotten that fair time may come again. Now once more I must ride with my knights to defend what was... and the dream of what could be.

AtrocitusWasRight

_Excalibur_ is the _2001_ of King Arthur movies.

Lastaria

Too me this is the greatest King Arthur movie. None made before or after seemed to quite capture the mythology.

BCThunder

I was one of those lucky kids that managed to get in regardless of the R rating and boy was I absolutely mesmerized by the film. Now I'm 55 and have watched it well over 100 times and the film has never never bored me. My absolute favourite, right next to Lawrence of Arabia. I know what I'm watching tonight...

deseipel

This movie is superb. Watched it many times as a ten yrs old on the Saturday late movie on ABC

Rhyett

Love this movie best king arthur movie I think so epic with the music an locations. The dialogue is choppy but I still love it. When he tells her I'll find you in another life...right in my heart

usernamenoonehas

First sex scene I ever saw

streetsofkage

This, Legend, and literally any other 80s fantasy movie..they all felt so magical. Maybe because of all the practical effects.

terminalblue

im in the dream team. Something about this movie blows my mind . I think it is its dream like feel but over the top delivery ...it just kinda blows me away.

Stralau

Loved this film ever since I saw it first when I was around six or seven. Got me into dramatic wagnerian music and granted me a series of teenage awakenings courtesy of Katrine Boorman and Helen Mirren.Also tried to get an actor I was directing as Prospero to do the role like Merlin in this film. He flat out refused and said the film was 'gay' the barbarian.

big-african-hat6991

I fucking love this movie and it’s not talked about enough, so many good actors in it my only complaint is the swords look cheap but for being a pre Lotr fantasy film it definitely fits then term epic in my opinion, hell you could argue their hasn’t been an good or epic fantasy films post lotr either.

Answer70

The most beautiful movie ever made IMO. The whole thing plays like a barely coherent fever dream, but damn is it gorgeous.

Son0f7leZ

There’s just something special about fantasy/sword & sorcery movies that were made in the 80s.

Strategos_Rift

Its a shame to review Excalibur and not mention Terry English , who did the armour. Amazing work (he did Aliens as well).

Vallario

I still think its a great movie