Netflix are facing a big fight in Byron Bay, Australia, exposing their choosing beggar nature.

Netflix are facing a big fight in Byron Bay Australia

View Reddit by littleleeroyView Source

WanderingWoodsprite

My business used to get asked to do events “for exposure” all the time and I always thought, if you were able to find me to bug me about this, kinda seems like I don’t need the exposure doesn’t it?

Tableau

I know a highly skilled craftsman who reproduces medieval armour. He participated in a tv special where he helped reproduce a piece of armour which then got tested against historical firearms. He didn’t get any business from that exposure but he did get his shop reported to the zoning board and shut down

ut_pictura

Worked for a branding company that was offered the opportunity to design the college football playoffs logo and trophy, back in like 2012 before there were playoffs. They sent over a bottle of champagne and offered no further compensation. My bosses did not accept the project.

jonp1

“Influencer culture” is one of the worst human inventions ever.

No-Caterpillar927

An agent once contacted us years ago because a film studio was interested in renting the property for 1 month....keep in mind this would usually worth over 500k euros. Agent was a bit reluctant to tell us what it was but dropped enough clues it was Jersey Shore. Fuck nope'd out of that, didn't even get to the point about discussing pricing and the utterly insane security deposit that would have been required (transferred to us in full, not held in fucking escrow)Don't think even the local tourist industry needed the shit Jersey Shore would have brought with it - at what point do we get paid for the *negative exposure*?

melligator

And depending on the show, not all exposure is good exposure. Like sure you want tourist $$ but the depiction will dictate what kind of traffic you end up with.

TomasMetePatas

I will never understand this. Exposure doesn't put food on the table or gas in your car or pays bills. At least immediately. People need money to go by

TheWolfAndRaven

Film maker/film crew member here - Never, under any circumstances, allow your business to be used as a film location without a location fee.A film set is very disruptive and you should be compensated for that.

aggr1103

That’s wild. I have friends who live in Wilmington, NC where Dawson’s Creek and One Tree Hill were filmed. Even if your house was just on the street where they were filming they paid you for the hassle.

jelly_good_show

Years ago I owned a restaurant and a production company wanted to use it as a location for three days, exposure was the payment only. They would use my electricity, my staff to prepare food for soap opera actors and staff, I turned them down flat. Another offer I had was to close the restaurant so Angelina Jolie could eat there with a few UN staff instead of taking full advantage of the usual busy evening trade, once again I declined.

lemon_whirl

Queer Eye was the same. The crew rates were less than half of normal crew rates and they ended up bringing in a lot of out of town folks who would work for that wage. They used and abused local business all in the name of exposure. Meanwhile making several very profitable series on the backs of folks who were happy to be used. Fuck Netflix. Fuck Queer Eye. The entire show is meant to be this positive experience lifting folks up, meanwhile they won't even pay the folks busting their assets to create it, a decent wage.

swordthroughtheduck

Just want to point out Netflix probably has nothing to do with this production other than providing the money.They’re very hands off with many projects and let creators do their thing. So while it could be a Netflix production, it’s not Netflix asking this of the town. It’s the producers of the movie.There are also loads of indie films that get made “for Netflix” that netflix has nothing to do with other than the producers want to sell it to Netflix when it’s done.Going to add to this because the same comments keep being posted: it doesn’t matter if you don’t like it, this is how it works. You can argue until you’re blue in the face, but this is how Netflix has always been run. Like it or not, this isn’t Netflix, this is a producer trying to get the most bang for their buck. Right or wrong, it’s the production, not the company making these moves.

butwhywouldit

Should have offered them a monthly subscription to use your land

D10BrAND

Ahh yes the classic exposure money.

womp_rat_bullseyer

They were filming the TV show Dexter over the last 2 weeks in the town next to me. They paid a woman $500 to have a candle in her window for a scene. The production company paid entire businesses to shut down for a full week or more.

Jackandmozz

Usually that “massive exposure “ costs businesses quite a bit of money.

KlM-J0NG-UN

What show is this about

IhaveTP4Bunghole

There is but one weapon: the word "NO".

AvengerMKII

Lol. Billion dollar companies being cheap as fuck. No wonder why these people use tax havens

devilontheroad

Netflix runs movies n stand-up specials with their cheapness look at the dirt cheapest made movie ever even used cheap knock off guitars

happywop

"massive exposure" = we think you're too dumb to know that we need you more than you need us...

LuciLuciMs

I was asked to do a very elaborate 1k + wedding cake for exposure 🤦🏻‍♀️ no thank you. If you found me then I’m not the one that needs exposure.

amplevoid

Netflix just texted me and said my account was frozen due to payment lapse. I don’t have a Netflix account. Never did.

UnusuallyAggressive

Well I doubt "netflix" phrased it like an asshole. It's also not "netflix". Probably an intern working on the production of a movie that's gonna be on Netflix. Also, this is hardly a "big fight". Netflix will be okay.

NexusMaw

Never, ever, give companies anything for free. The bigger they are, the more they should pay.

taylorpilot

Guessing it’s not the head of Netflix but a producer for one of their shittier small shows.

BringOrnTheNukekkai

I'm an artist, I paint murals and canvasses on the side and it's insane how much I get asked not only to work for free but to PAY to paint. People will ask me to paint their building with no compensation and me using my own paint. It's insulting.

nehemiaadrian

Shameless.

Eastern-Border

Something my father once told me; "always get paid for the work you do and pay others for the work that they do for you." Influence doesn't pay the bills. Never accept that as a form of payment.

Snaurg

Hahahaha! Locations are and should always be pricey. They've scouted YOUR location, they want it. Charge thousands for the disruption alone.

Draculea

Youtube, Netflix, Facebook - all mistreat people horribly in the name of profit, and yet for some reason people continue to take what they say as gospel whenever it's questioned.I'm not sure if it's the prospect of losing said entertainment medium or what.

kyoukaraa

A production from them based in Australia also reached out to me, wanting to use 6 of my drawings purchasing them from my store, so no actual compensation etc. Just 10 bucks per picture to use in the series and one of its rooms. Asked to get the digital files to print as filming was in like 3 days?! (Europe to Australia) Shipping might take too long, nope never gonna give away my original files. After I signed the contract, which basically was very shitty, never got back to me after, never got any money. If I do see my work up there, it'll be fun.

insurance_novice

If this is beneficial to the towns economy, he could ask his government to pay him lol