‘No one was driving the car’: 2 men dead after fiery Tesla crash, took 32,000 gallons water to douse fire for 4 hrs with battery reigniting.

No one was driving the car 2 men dead after

View Reddit by ReferenceSufficientView Source

Corporate_Monster

A number of racetracks have banned Tesla's racing, due to the fact that they don't know how to efficiently put the fires out or keep them out. They're not sure what hazardous materials come out of the car during the fire and will contaminate the track and the surrounding area.

RhinestoneTaco

There's [a good post](https://www.reddit.com/r/SelfDrivingCars/comments/mtda3p/no_one_was_driving_the_car_2_men_dead_after_fiery/guz52mw/) over in /r/SelfDrivingCars (that I can understand about 85% of) that explains why "dumping a shitload of water on it" is about the best procedure they have in these situations.

amped-row

At what point do they just prop up a pool so they don’t waste so much water

rhysees_pieces

Until cars have no steering wheel or pedals then you need to be in the drivers seat and ready to intervene at any time

MuonicDecay

I bet there won't be any strong opinions about this whatsoever

1320Fastback

Lithium fires are a bitch to put out. We have been using Lithium Polymer batteries in RC Airplanes and well anything RC for decade or so now. The mainly erupt in crashes also but quite a few people over the years have burned their homes down simply charging them when they have unknown damage or internal fault.

mungie3

Why does this article not list the model in the crash? I'm curious about which battery tech this was

Fox_Powers

obviously, the morons who LITERALLY vacated the drivers seat for this stunt have the lions share of the blame.but from a safety point of view, Tesla has done the absolute barest minimum job of detecting driver engagement. Everyone else has adopted cameras for this task, while tesla continues to rely on torque sensing that is easily duped. Its either incompetence, or its willful to facilitate owners to circumvent the controls.I dont particularly care if tesla owners kill themselves, but these are public roads, and such unsafe vehicles should not be permitted to travel on the same streets as the rest of us.

jacegarfieldisabitch

How hazardous is the runoff water? Does it need to be collected and treated?

xSimoHayha

Aaaaaand /r/teslamotors has changed a rule to ban certain crash related posts LMAO

Nahoola

If I remember, the Rimac 1 that Richard Hammond crashed kept flaring back up for 5 days after it crashed.

mgobla

Tesla should have never been allowed to use the term "autopilot". 99% of people blindly assume it's a self driving car just bc of that misleading marketing term, the subreddit "whatcarshouldIbuy" proves that.

vikingcock

Shouldn't they have used some form of foam for a battery fire?

HappyHound

That poor, poor, water.

flavorburst

We're all beta testers for Tesla's autopilot system, like it or not. As long as people have teslas on the road and tesla tells their customers it's called autopilot, everyone is part of the beta test.

howImetyoursquirrel

/r/teslamotors is currently jerking off about Elon's tweet regarding "autopilot being safer" while this news article is sitting at 0 upvotes and a dozen comments....typical

jemminger

> Authorities will perform autopsies on both men.I'ma go out on a limb here and guess that a car crash and fire killed them.

Ragnaroknight

There's over 16,000 accidents per day in the U.S. this is just one of them. A really unfortunate situation.But, This is not some sort of reason why EVs suck, and we should take this as a serious warning to always be paying attention to the road regardless of auto pilot or manual driving.I own a Tesla Model 3, and I use autopilot daily, but I'm always focused on the road, watching my speed, and prepared to retake manual control. This is how it should be done.

miaviv

remember when those samsung phones kept blowing upand thats a tiny batterynow imagine, the big ass batteries in cars.

KiloNation

/r/cars creaming themselves right now lol.

RobDickinson

OK this will get lost or down voted but.On that section of road (no centre lane marking) you cannot enable autopilot.Without a driver in the driving seat the car will instantly flash warnings and slow down to a stop. They would have had to physically work round the safety systems of the car to do this.So most of this story sounds very fishy,

G-Skyz

Doesn’t water make electric fires worse?

ReferenceSufficient

Here’s Tesla’s emergency guide. Includes how to put out battery fire - to use 3,000 of water and have a backup ready. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2016_Model_S_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

Buzzed_Bee

Wow, that's ridiculous. We don't have a way around using that much water for one vehicle? Sounds like an issue to me.

johnjay23

It's simply amazing how many people will defend a "technology" to the end. Lots of folks are saying, you can't determine the cause of the crash till the Tesla's data is in. It is this denial and stubbornness, coupled with man's arrogance, that's going to be the end of us.You can't design enough safety controls to circumvent stupidity.

UtilityPole

Is this the beta program for the "FSD" that we all unwittingly signed up when we share the road with Teslas>At one point, Herman said, deputies had to call Tesla to ask them how to put out the fire in the battery.5 star safety ratings tho

Warbird421

"BuT ItS gOt A FivE sTaR CrAsH RaTiNg"

PlayerFromHimalaya

Not sure how this occurred? The other day I was backing up in my driveway. I unbuckled my seatbelt so that I could lift up to take my wallet out my back pocket and lights and beeps went off and car stopped on it’s own.

rickertex

I saw an autonomous Tesla hit a lady in Whole Foods parking lot Friday ...